Prasanna-Kumar Shivapuja, BDS, MDS, DDS, MS
Meet Dr. Kumar
“Orthodontics is a noble profession that allows me to provide a better sense of well-being to people. From the simplest orthodontic case to helping people with pain and dysfunction or providing a sense of normalcy for people with craniofacial deformities, I am honored to practice the complete scope of the profession.” – Dr. Kumar
Education and Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery – College of Dental Surgery, Manipal India University of Mysore, 1980
- TMA Pai Gold Medal for Best Student; University Award for Best Student
- Master of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics - College of Dental Surgery, University of Mangalore, 1984
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of Detroit Dental School, 1986
- Master of Science in Orthodontics – University of Detroit Dental School, 1988
- Roth Williams Center for Functional Occlusion
A firm believer that true power lies in knowledge, Dr. Kumar not only participates but also contributes to continuing education. His lecture topics include management of facial asymmetries, management of complex orthodontic problems, orthodontic/periodontal/restorative interrelationship, management of TMJ, and inter-disciplinary management of advanced adult cases. On average, he completes more than 100 hours of continuing education every year.
- Dr. Kumar belongs to the Spear Study Group where he is involved in hands-on treatment planning complex cases that need multiple discipline involvement “with a team approach” along with his dental peers.
- He worked at the University Of Detroit School Of Dentistry at the orthodontic department as an assistant professor until 1994 before starting his private practice.
- Since 1998, Dr. Kumar has been involved as an adjunct faculty member in St. John’s Macomb Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery training program, training residents in planning cases for orthognathic surgery, TMJ care, and other aspects of orthodontic/surgical interrelated topics.
- Certified in:
- Lingual orthodontic appliance Incognito®
- Preferred provider for Invisalign®
- Macomb Dental Association
- Michigan Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Michigan Association of Orthodontists
- American Association of Orthodontists
- College of the Diplomats of American Board of Orthodontics
Committed to both the local and international community, Dr. Kumar has volunteered his services through Health Volunteers Overseas in an effort to educate professionals in the treatment of people with cleft lip and palate, craniofacial anomalies, and jaw discrepancies. He has organized seven of these ADA-recognized trips across the globe. Additionally, Dr. Kumar manages the cleft database for Healing the Children, an organization dedicated to meeting the healthcare needs of children around the world.
Outside the Office
Born in Bangalore, Karnataka, India, Dr. Kumar grew up in Mysore, Karnataka, India, and moved to the US in 1984. He currently resides in Harrison Township, Michigan. Dr. Kumar’s passion for photography is displayed throughout the office, and many of his photographs have been published and won awards. When he’s not photographing his extensive travels, Dr. Kumar enjoys hiking, bicycling, and cooking authentic ethnic food.